Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Trailing Sparky

Sparky stops to pee on trees a lot, but I rarely
got a full leash length ahead.  He keeps us moving
forward at a pretty good pace.
Sparky and I did about 90 minutes out on the trails today.  We encountered a man riding an ATV and carrying a chainsaw.  He was working on clearing the trees and branches that came down in that last heavy snow.  The trails were pretty well blocked but most of them have now been cleared.  He got a good distance ahead of us on the trail but we caught up to him when he stopped to clear some downed trees.  He remarked that I was walking fast and I told them that Sparky walks fast, I just try to keep up.
 
We encountered just one other walker on the trail, a woman with a small dog, which I'm happy to say was on a leash. 

The walking is good for both of us.  I'm down at least 15 pounds and my blood pressure is down too.


A couple times today he stopped and had a
good roll in the grass.  One time he sniffed the
area first so I thought he was scent marking.
The other time he seemed to do it just for fun.



Gigi is doing well today.  She's been resting comfortably on our bed most of the day, but she got up to go out at meal times.  The leg doesn't seem to bother her really.  She trots along, takes the stairs without difficulty, and has no problem getting up into the bed.  We go back to the vet on Thursday to have the bandage removed and see how it's doing.  I'm going to take Maya along too for a quick check to see if she can be spayed yet. 


I called off the transfer of Frank to another foster home today.  I've got some real concerns about him and whether he's suitable for adoption.  He's definitely not adoption day material.  He growls at strangers and at anyone who tries to handle him, myself included.  He could learn to trust one person probably, if that person isn't afraid of him and is willing to work on earning his trust, but he doesn't like meeting new people so that really will make adoption difficult if not impossible.


Some downed tree branches.
In some places the trail was completely blocked,
forcing us off the trail to pick our way through
the undergrowth.  It's not so bad this time of year,
but it's full of stickers and soon will be full of ticks.










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really nice day for both you and Sparky! That's great that you have such a good walking buddy!

Julie Garrou said...

Maybe Frank just needs someone who will adopt him into a 1-pet household, no kids, and a committed attitude. When I adopted my hound, she would growl at me when I tried to take things from her, and I immediately called my vet, who suggested training. I called the SPCA for a recommendation and they sent me to All Things Pawwsible. My dog would probably never growl at me now, loves to give things up because she knows "leave it" equals a treat, and likes to sit beside me to be petted (that took over a year to happen. Who knows why). I have come to accept she will always be reactive, bark at anything you can think of, and never be the kind of dog I can take on vacation, or even to the downtown mall. But she's my friend now, and I will always keep her. She goes to ATP twice a week and loves it. So, you never know. It may just take the right person to come along.