Friday, April 26, 2013

First mow

Vince
It's not exactly the first time I've cut grass this year, but it was the first big pasture mow, with dogs. 

I started out with just Vince.  That old guy really runs.  In fact, his usual outdoor pace is a run.  If Vince is going somewhere, he's going in a hurry, don't ask me why.  He got a good run in while I mowed and he was ready to go back inside when I let him.






Frank
Next I took out Frank.  Frank is a VGSR shepherd but I haven't put him up for adoption just yet.  For the first week or so Frank was very wary and very growly, which made me very wary of him.  He settled down with me and then with Clay, but he will still growl if you try to make him do something he doesn't want to do.  Maya is a talker too, but she doesn't intimidate me.  Frank, on the other hand, has my respect.  He will definitely need an experienced handler, someone who will take a little time to gain his respect and trust and who won't be intimidated by his growl.  Frank knows some commands and he's smart, but he's also smart enough to get away with what he can.  I haven't really worked with him and that's what he needs, that's how trust and bonds are built.  He's a big shepherd and a good looking one. 

Anyway, Frank came out to the pasture but mostly was interested in other dogs on the other side of the fence.  It didn't seem that he really wanted to run around and explore a lot on his own.  He stuck pretty close to me but a safe distance from the mower. 


Riley

I brought out Riley the rottie and she livened things up.  She and Maya ran and barked at each other through the fence.  Frank mostly followed Riley around and did whatever she did.  Riley finally started moving around the pasture a bit more and Frank was always about half a dog behind.

None of our own dogs got out there today, except for Vince.  Cabell and Bremo are really too old for pasture romps.  Gigi can't because of her elbow.  Zachary just wants to be with Clay.  Trooper loves to get out there and run, but he obsessively runs the front fence line chasing every car that passes by on the road.  That drives me crazy and I don't want Maya picking that up from him, so neither of them got out there today.

Sunday is an adoption event in Gainesville.  I'm taking Trouble, Maya, Hercules, and Rocky. 


Riley (front) and Frank (rear)

Frank following Riley
 






No comments: