Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day weekend 2013, Day 3, Eagles and cicadas

I love a big breakfast, it's really my favorite meal.  Sunday and Monday mornings I made blueberry pancakes with corned beef hash (Sunday) and sausage (Monday).  It's a great start for a canoe trip, which I did again this morning.  I went back to my regular stretch of the Rivanna river and found that the water level had dropped significantly from my float on Saturday morning.  It was warmer today and the water was clear but still deep enough for an easy float.  I had my extra paddle stowed securely onboard.  I didn't need it, but I think it will just stay there. 

He showed up in the very bottom corner of one of my
pics.  I cropped and enlarged so it's blurry

I saw a few guys fishing, but I had the river to myself for most of the route.  I probably had 20 or more bald eagle spottings, but I think they were the same two birds that I was chasing down river.  They would fly a short distance ahead until they found another good perch and sit there until I came close again.  For a while I floated silently, trying to get as close as possible, but the closest I came was when I wasn't even aware of their presence.  They startled me by taking off from a perch on an overhanging tree not 20 yards ahead of me.  Of course I didn't have my camera ready for that one. 


The other accompaniment for this trip was hum of the Brood II, 17 year periodical cicadas.  They are out in force right now, creating a constant buzz in the woods that sounds like an alien spacecraft hovering nearby.  I don't have firsthand knowledge of the sound made by alien spacecraft, but I'm sure that must be the sound they use for every UFO movie ever made.  It certainly is "otherworldly" even if not truly alien. 

I was home by noon.  I need to do some mowing and then Clay's mother is coming out for hotdogs later this afternoon.  I love three day weekends.



Part of an old stone bridge at Palmyra, and the new Rt. 15 bridge behind.
 

No comments: