Thursday, May 2, 2013

Troubles and trials

Even with daylight savings time, days are too short in the spring to get everything done that needs doing.  I have an adopter for Trouble and plan to make that happen on Saturday so I needed to get her to the vet for another heartworm test.  I say "another" because she was already tested for heartworms and was negative, but the test that was given didn't cover the tick-borne diseases-Lyme, Erlichia, etc.

She squirmed her way through another test and came up with only a faint, slight positive result for Lyme.  Because there's now a shortage of doxycycline, we aren't treating a positive result in the absence of clinical symptoms.  Many shelters don't even do the test because even a positive result doesn't mean that the dog will ever develop the disease.  It's information I'll pass along to the adopter on Saturday, but that's all there is to be done. 

Gigi came along to have her elbow looked at.  Healing has been slow and difficult.  The vet removed what remained of the stitches.  She's still wearing the soft cone and will be for some time to come because she won't leave the spot alone if she can get to it.

She had the first of what will be a series of laser treatments which are supposed to aid healing.  I think I'll also order her a set of DogLeggs which will likely become a permanent part of her apparel when we finally remove the cone. 


I stopped to visit Gypsy Jr. on my way home because she's moving to New Jersey tomorrow to another group that has agreed to take her.  I have mixed feelings.  On one hand I don't like pushing my problems off onto someone else even if they've agreed to take them on.  On the other hand, the dog's life is at stake and I do feel she deserves every chance.  This will be another chance.  She can come back if they can't do anything with her.  We will see. 

I wasn't sure I should even see her.  I think that may be confusing to a dog who must wonder what happened and why I was back, but only temporarily.  That may be anthropomorphizing though.  She was happy to see me and we shared a little time together.  I do wish her the best.  I failed with this one and I hate that, but I know that I can't save them all and I'm done beating myself up over it.  Maybe someone else can give her what she needs and find a home for her.  I really hope so. 





No comments: