Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Girl problems

Maya, cute and sweet, but not innocent
There's 12 dogs around here right now I think, nine males and three females.  Two are giving me grief, both girls.  No surprise there.  Actually, all three.  Riley is the least problematic but she found, or made, a hole in my fence the other day and went for a walkabout.  I couldn't figure out how she got out, but Maya showed me the hole the next morning. 

Temporary back fence of the dog yard.
Maya-proof, hopefully.
Maya has taken to jumping over the back fence out of the dog yard and into the pasture.  The grass out there is taller than she is now, but she has a great time bounding through it and she's probably gobbling up cicadas.  That back fence is rather dilapidated so it's not too surprising.  Fortunately Maya comes when I call and either goes back into the dog yard or I just bring her into the house if she's had a good and exhausting romp. 

Gigi, wearing her new DogLeggs.
Gigi, without the hood, finally
Today I took down one of the kennels not in use and used it's 6' panels to make a taller back fence.  It looks rather shiftless, but it's just temporary.  I am going to get the fencing company back out here soon, I hope, and replace some fencing.  I'd like to enlarge the dog yard to include the big clump of trees behind it, thereby giving the dogs some shade and a more interesting environment. 

My big girlfriend, Gigi, is also giving me grief.  Her elbow was looking red and raw again today, as if she had been scratching it with a back leg.  On Monday I finally ordered her DogLeggs and they came today, not a moment too soon.  She knew something was up and she ran from me as soon as I picked them up and came towards her to put them on.  I had had the same problem trying to measure her for them a few days ago.  I finally got them on, which enabled me to finally take that cone off her head.  She's got to be happy about that anyway.  The DogLeggs don't seem to bother her and so far at least she hasn't bothered them. 






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to giggle while reading this today. Girls can be stressful! Especially when they are in the teenage years:-) Thank you for all that you do for all these great dogs!