Monday, May 13, 2013

Whither spring?

It's about the middle of May but is acting like early April.  My container garden was planted when my mother was out here a couple weeks ago, but I've lost a few plants already due to weather.  That never happens to me.  Some of the things we planted just died when we had too much cool weather and rain instead of warm sunshine to get it growing.  Sunday night it didn't quite frost but it did get cold enough to knock off the caladium sprouts and a few of the sweet potato vines.   It was cold when I got out of bed Monday morning and I went right downstairs and switched the heat pump control back to "heat."  They had said that Monday night was supposed to be even colder, so I'm covering up some of the planted containers in an effort to avoid further losses.  This is getting ridiculous.
 

I was away in Denver last week.  It was nice to get away for a bit even if it was a work trip.  The 17+ hours of travel I had on the return trip sort of took the pleasure out of it, however.  I did pick up some nice new collar bling for the dogs' collars at the Denver airport on the way home.
 

Gypsy Jr.
Frank
Gypsy is apparently still doing well in New Jersey.  She's still with the shelter up there, hasn't been adopted, but apparently she's getting along and at least she's still there.  Speaking of dogs that I don't get along with, Frank moved to another foster home on Sunday.  He had been doing better here, as long as we stuck to the routine.  I boarded him and Herc when I went away, however, and I had problems with getting him out of the crate once we got to the boarding kennel.  I don't like a dog who growls at me, it makes me angry, and that makes the situation worse.  The folks who taken Tanya from me and then Stella took Frank on Sunday, having gotten Stella adoped a few days before.  Frank was comfortable with them and seemed to be doing well at their place, at least initially.  I just don't have a lot of patience with dogs who have behavior problems anymore.  At best they are likely to be long term fosters with few adoption prospects.  Even worse, I'll end up stuck with a dog that I don't like and don't get along with.  I've got to be more selective from now on and also more aware of my own limitations.

No comments: