Friday, May 17, 2013

Mid-May

It's been a busy week, although you wouldn't know it from my blog.  Sometimes I'm too busy to take pics, edit the pics, and write.  I've started a new schedule of sorts, starting work early in the morning and working again in the evenings, leaving the middle of day relatively free.  That "free" time is over-committed, however.  On Friday I started work about 6:00 a.m., which confused and concerned the dogs because I was up but neglected to feed them until about 10:00 a.m.  I needed to get work done early because I had a 3:00 p.m. vet appointment and didn't want to be working Friday evening. 

About 2:00 p.m. I loaded up Gigi, Zachary, and Vince for a trip to town.  Zach had his routine annual checkup and vaccines.  He's in good shape, but according to their records he is nine years old this year!  How the hell did that happen?   He is showing some age, but I've been thinking he was more like six or seven years old.  Apparently my self-delusion concerning age extends to those around me, dogs included.  I don't think I've ever had a more cooperative shepherd at the vet.  He rolled over on his back so the vet could listen to his heart and examine his abdomen.  This dog was up for adoption when he was a puppy and was as cute as he could be.  No one wanted him because he wasn't perfect, he was skinny and he had black splotches from a fungal infection at the time, the easiest possible thing to treat.  People are short-sighted, shallow, and just plain stupid.  You snooze, you lose.  He's an awesome dog and he's ours. 

Gigi had another laser treatment on her elbow joint.  It's healed pretty well, but is still subject to scratching, and excessive licking if we were to remove her stylish blue hoodie.  I'm going to order her some custom made DogLeggs, elbow pads essentially, which will protect the joints and keep her from licking and scratching at them.  This was her fourth treatment and fourth vet visit in as many weeks.  She still wasn't thrilled to be there but at least I didn't have to drag her out of the van this time, just a little tug. 

After the vet we went to CASPCA so Vince could visit Jennifer.  He had been wanting to go for a visit and as usual, he led the way.  Vince may like me, and I think he does, but he truely loves Jennifer, who saved his ass not once or twice, but three times.  After visiting her he went looking for Heather, but we missed her today.  That's ok, we'll be back.







No comments: