Monday, October 23, 2017

Saturday's hike

I hadn't had Max out on the trails in a long time.
He's really good on a hike; the trail gives him focus.
Saturday was a beautiful day. I didn't have anything that I really had to do, so I walked.
TJ, Maya, and Max, all looking right as we come to an
intersection of two trails. Maya listens for my verbal "to the
right" command and to the right they all go.



The trail was narrow and everyone wanted to be in front.
I'm amazed that they can push together this close and not
get into a fight about position, but they don't.

Fortunately, they spread out a bit when we get to the water.
With Trump's republicans intent on decimating the EPA and
rolling back environmental regulations, you have to wonder
how long it will be before local streams and rivers are impacted.

Max really enjoyed himself.
For Maya, it's just another day of routine deer patrol.



The autumn sun on TJ's coat is a thing of beauty.
The first hike with TJ, Maya, and Max was four miles. Then
I dropped off Max and picked up Trooper. TJ came along on
the second hike too, for another two miles.
By the end of the second hike, TJ had hit
his limit, but he hung in there and loved it all.


Two miles was enough for Trooper. He doesn't have to go far
but he likes to be included. He was out front the whole way.


Trooper always leads and he always
looks back when I stop to ask why.
 

Maya would probably rather walk with Trooper
than anyone else, but she has decided that TJ
is a pretty good hiking buddy. He's learned the
routine, although he really doesn't care about deer.

Taking Carly out on my final walk of the day probably
wasn't my best idea because my back was already hurting
at this point. She is very strong and completely lacking
in leash manners. I should have brought her alone, but
I thought Maya could model good leash manners.
Maya did so, but Carly paid no attention.

I had two leashes on her, attached to a prong
collar and an easy walk harness.
Nothing stopped her pulling.

It was a pretty sunset but I had to remain
concentrated on holding Carly. She didn't just
pull forward consistently, she would periodically
and without warning, plunge into tall grasses or
 thick brush on either side of the trail.

She had always lived on a chain and this may
have been her first time ever being out for a
hike in the country on a leash.

This arrangement of leashes, one on the harness
and the second one wrapped around her belly
and attached to the collar gave me a modicum
of control, at least enough to continue walking.

We walked over two miles, survived a couple
encounters with off-leash dogs, and made it
back to the van at last.

Next time I take her, it will be just her and me until she settles
down a bit. Maya may not mind staying at home when I take Carly.

Maya and I logged almost 8.5 miles on Saturday.
We were both happy to stay home on Sunday.



No comments: