Monday, June 10, 2019

After the Deluge

It was raining this morning and there is a chance of rain in the forecast yet tonight, but for most of the day the rain held off. The sun peaked out a couple times but that really just served to drive up the heat and humidity. Still it was a better day than the last few so I took the opportunity to get some dogs out to the pasture late this afternoon.
While the dogs ran around, I rode around on
the mower cutting some very tall grass in parts
of the pasture. Max was the dog who stuck
with me more than the others.

Between my back and the rain it's been pretty boring around here for most of the dogs lately. I felt bad for Zeus in particular because he is new here and probably wasn't developing the best impression. I've had to keep him away from Della who seems to have taken a dislike to him, maybe just because he came in after her. So poor Zeus has been crated a lot, or confined to the AC yard. I had tried him in the dog yard once but he got out of there.

I took Zeus, Theo, Max, Smokey, and Serena out to the pasture. Zeus enjoyed himself and he stuck around with the other dogs, which was good. Smokey had to be coaxed out of the dog yard into the pasture, but when he finally came out I closed the gate behind him and he finally started dogging around exploring on his own.

Everyone enjoyed themselves and really enjoyed fresh water in the tanks when they came back in to cool off. I changed housing arrangements when it was all over too. I moved Zeus out to the kennel with Smokey and put Max back with Theo in the dog yard. Those two will both come in at night. If Zeus will stay with Smokey it will improve his quality of life and make it a lot easier on me keeping him separated from Della. Associating with a dog other than Max could only help him too.

Theo was disappointed that we didn't play ball but the
grass was too tall in much of the pasture.




Several of the dogs don't like the mower, Max isn't put
off by it at all, in fact it seems to stimulate him.


Zeus, in front, and Smokey. I'm hoping they will become
friends and Zeus will be a better role model than Max.

Smokey was cautious and unsure of himself when he first
got out to the pasture.
Zeus was very happy to be out.



I tried to keep tabs on Zeus to make sure he didn't try to get
out of the pasture, but he had enough to do inside and he hung
with the other dogs for the most part.




Everyone made frequent trips back to the water tanks.

Serena can outrun them all.


I love the white tip on Zeus's tail.


Max found a ball.

Smokey, Max, and Theo


Max and Theo among the wildflowers


Smokey is still learning to dog.




No comments: