Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Empty nest, empty bottles

It's finally happened. We are without puppies tonight, back to seven dogs, including Della, just one more than we started with. It's been three solid months, June, July, and August, plus a few days on either end in May and September. A long haul, but also the fastest summer I can remember.

Sierra went to her new home today and I'm glad because she was needing more time and attention. I took her out for a few walks around the yard today, without Della, and she enjoyed them and gained some confidence, but still followed me closely. We met the adopter at Green Dogs this afternoon, and got to see Killian as well.








I stayed busy doing yard work this weekend, and Clay and I got out a couple times. But today I feel a bit lost and not sure what to do with myself. I returned a lot of the puppy supplies to Erika when I delivered Sierra. I came home and turned off the air conditioners in the puppy shed, which should save a lot on the next electric bill. It felt too hot to work outside today. I drank the last of the puppy beers and lined up the empties in the feeding trough, letting them stand in for their canine namesakes one last time.



There are more memories than I have time to recall, but they will stay with me forever. And of course I'll have the chance to see the pups as they grow, which is the most rewarding aspect of this experience. I also have a couple wonderful mementos to cherish, but the greatest reward is Della herself.
Thanks to Amy Yang for this large print of one of her photos featuring us
holding Della's puppies in a box, and a very happy and proud Della in front.


And this is a paw painting on canvas, of each puppy's prints around the edge
and Della's in the center. I have some framing to do.



Della goes in to be spayed on Wednesday, bringing this puppy business to a definitive end.
Wish me luck in keeping her quiet for a week or more after the surgery.






















1 comment:

hammer1924 said...

Makes me laugh and cry. Coming back from an end of summer vacation and feeling a bit lost myself. You and Clay were so wonderful to the pups and have a beauty in Della to join your crew for life.