Monday, February 15, 2021

Nothing to see here

Another day of snow turning to mud. The mud is now deeper than the snow ever was. The cold makes the great dismal swamp we call home more dismal than ever. I haven't set foot outside any more than necessary. Even the dogs are not thrilled about going out in this. The Danes use the same boardwalks that I do, and yet we all still track in wet, muddy footprints. 

It was a day only good for work and I did have a productive day of it. The "Dog Rescuer" meme popped up in my Facebood memories today, from nine years ago. Nothing much has changed. There are few heroics, what we really do is spend a lot of time hugging and holding, comforting and crying, while also throwing a lot of money down the drain. 

I have a folder on my desktop where I collect these things I've found on Facebook and thought today would be a good day to share some of my favorites related to rescue work. 


This one always makes me laugh, and we've had dogs given up for this very reason.


Dog rescuers probably need a 12 step group, but no one is really interested in kicking the habit.


People who take in senior dogs are a special type. It's not for everyone, but it is very rewarding.



To adopt the dog, you must be smarter than the dog. That weeds out a lot of applicants.



This applies to people who volunteer for anything.



Clay and I were talking the other night about our first Rottweiler, Jack. 
He came to us as an adult and Jack already knew everything he needed to know. 
He did, however, spend quite a bit of time training us to meet his needs.



Again, it may be a disease, but no one is interested in a cure.

Every dog rescuer has been bit more than once, has cleaned up diarrhea from a crate, 
cleaned up vomit from between the seats of a car, and hugged a dog that you could
smell from a mile away, but ask any dog rescuer the worst part of the job and the 
answer will always be "dealing with people." In all fairness, many of us aren't 
really people persons in the first place.

A fair price for what they give.











I find myself wishing that Great Danes came in fewer color options.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen some stupid shit this week and it's only Tuesday.
Thank you, I really needed that this morning.

Byron's Mom said...

Love these! Thanks for sharing!!

Risa Lapidow said...

To which I can only say, "amen".
Rescue is like Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.