Monday, September 9, 2024

Hiking and bonding

It was a back to work Monday and that's about all I did. But I did get Bailey out for another hike, 5.5 miles late this afternoon. 

Back when Maya was new, after her unauthorized walkabout around the county, I started hiking with her for bonding purposes. Even after she was "homed" here, she would hop the fence whenever the mood struck her and cruise around the neighborhood before coming home. That was aging me fast, so I stopped letting her out off leash at all and then she and I took up hiking in a more serious way. It became our thing and she would have followed me to the ends of the earth. 

Bailey is a lot like Maya in many ways, including her total disrespect for fencing and property lines. I can let her outside in the morning because it's feeding time so she sticks around. During the day I can take her out if I'm going out to water because she likes to play with the hose. I can take her out to the pasture with other dogs, as long as I go out with them. I can never let her out at dusk, that's deer time. I can put her in Daneland with Norman during the days if I want, she hasn't yet gone over a six foot fence. She and Norman play together and it's good for both of them, but I'm also trying to hike with her as much as possible for bonding purposes as well as my own health. We are getting into my favorite season and the best season for hiking so I'm trying to make the most of it whenever I can.



We spotted a few deer today, and lots of squirrels. 




5.5 miles

I knew that garden pics weren't quite over. I keep forgetting to share this one.
It's just a rex begonia and some caladiums in a pot but it made a nice arrangement.

Another Killian snuggle picture in the kitchen. He's so sweet.

Killian (on the sofa) and his mother, Della.

You'll note that Della lays on the dog bed, and Killian, who apparently was raised in a household without rules, has claimed the sofa. 


No comments: