Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Rainy day arrangements

We had the remnants of coastal storm today, giving us a nice, fairly steady rain for much of the day. We needed it. But a rainy day calls for some different doggie arrangements. We had a character change on Sunday as well. Killian went home and Arlo arrived, taking over the role of second Dane in the household until next Sunday. Arlo is not a former foster but he was here for a while earlier this year so he's not wholly unfamiliar with the routine and the rest of the cast. 

Arlo isn't neutered yet and I'm not sure he and Norman would be a good match. I could keep Arlo in the dog yard but he doesn't like to be alone outside and I can't keep Bailey in the dog yard because she will jump the fence. So I moved the three dobie pups to the dog yard for the day, which they've been doing most days anyway and put Arlo and Bailey in the half of Daneland with the shed that has been the Doberman pups' home base. They had space to run and play when it wasn't raining and good shelter from the rain if they didn't want to get wet. That left the a/c yard available to the cone-wearing Woody in between rain showers. At night Arlo is in the crate next to Della, Woody is in a crate in the kitchen, and the Doberman pups move back over to their shed. 

This worked well during the day and I hope it gave everyone enough outdoor time that they will sleep better, and longer, tonight. 

I looked at the radar and saw that there was supposed to be a good break in the rain from about 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. this evening so I took Bette and Elvis out for a walk at Pleasant Grove. I didn't want to walk the muddy trails so I stuck to the roadways at the park but we still managed to get in four miles.


Elvis pairs well with most any dog on a walk, but he and Bette were particularly well-matched.

They are the same size, could wear the same harness if I had two of them, and have very similar walking styles. They keep moving for the most part, which I appreciate.


Bette is much more interested in deer, however, and we saw a lot of them this evening because our walked ended as it was getting dark. That's when the deer come out to play.




These two even performed a synchronized pooping routine that I have never seen before. They both stopped at the same time and did their business still standing right next to one another. I only needed one bag for both and they chose a spot right near a trash can for easy disposal. I was pleased and impressed.

They rode home in the back of the van together.

Killian on a bed in the bedroom at night. It was very nice to have him here.

Arlo in the big crate next to Della's

Arlo and Bailey played together the last time he was here.
I'll get them out to the pasture to run tomorrow when it's not raining.


No comments: