Saturday, September 21, 2024

Saturday with Bailey, Elvis, and Marvel

Today was the third anniversary and Octoberfest celebration at Patch Brewery, so Clay left for work early in the morning and I was left with a largely open day. At this stage Marvel is doing everything for the puppies and all I need to do is feed and clean up after her. She's being very considerate in using pee pads in the puppy shed so that's pretty easy on my part. I gave her some warm chicken broth on her dry food this morning and she cleaned that up. Her digestion had been messed up but her stool was returning to normal today. I did the morning routine for all the other dogs and then took care of Marvel and then Bailey and I set out on a nice long hike.

She seemed to know that we were setting out on a longer than normal adventure and she paced herself accordingly. It wasn't too hot but it was very humid so we set a moderate pace and she didn't do a lot of pulling. We had several deer spottings, and encountered a couple of other walking parties, with and without dogs. We ended up with over six miles and I think even Bailey was at least moderately tired when we finished. 

Getting back home, I got all the other dogs out again for a bit, and fed Marvel again, this time a mixture of canned and dry food. Once again she ate it all. 

After a much needed shower, I loaded up Elvis and we went up to Patch. There was a big crowd, a newly released beer, and I had some oysters, courtesy of a young couple who had adopted one of Starfish's puppies. There were quite a few people there that I knew and Clay got off work in time to sit with Elvis and I while we ate chicken tenders and onion rings. Elvis greeted a lot of people and several  dogs as well.

I got home just ahead of Arlo's owner who came back a day early. He was very happy to see her. I'm afraid Arlo didn't have as much fun here as he had on his earlier visit. The current combination of dogs and Della's condition just didn't allow for as much outdoor play time as he would have liked. But I suspect it was still better than most boarding kennel experiences. 

I had some rotisserie chicken from Costco, chicken broth, and some leftover cream in the refrigerator, so I made a cream of chicken soup to go over Marvel's dry food for dinner. She seemed to enjoy it and she also seemed very happy to see us when we went out to feed her and weigh the pups. The puppies appear to be plump and growing plumper, just as they should. Marvel is a wonderful mom. 


Late summer wildflowers were putting on a great show.



I needed something in this picture for scale. This mushroom was uncommonly tall.

Bailey walked right past this guy without noticing him. 
He doesn't move fast enough to interest her.


6.25 miles

Elvis got a lot of attention, quite a few dog treats, and a few bites of the chicken tenders.




Arlo was very happy to see his owner.

Rocket is with us until Monday. He and Bailey have been playing together.

Marvel was happy to see us.

She loved the cream of chicken soup.

Marvel enjoyed some snuggle and petting time.

All the pups had gained weight and they are looking plumper by the day.

The four of them look very much alike, but we were able to hold them long enough this evening to pick out some distinguishing markings on their chests. 

She's a very sweet girl and a very good mother.

No comments: