Monday, September 23, 2024

Woody meets Rocco

 Back in February, 2017 I took in a young male German Shepherd who had been seized from his former owners because they had no food for the dog and they were keeping him on the balcony of a high rise apartment building in Alexandria. He was adopted by a couple of former shepherd adopters who re-named him Rocco. His story is here. They had contacted me about Woody a few weeks ago and today we made it happen. They came out with Rocco to see how the two dogs would get along. Woody is a sweet boy, but he's an overenthusiastic kid who can get on your nerves. He desperately wants a friend and he's been really starved for friendship since he's been wearing that cone for the past few weeks. No one wanted to be around him when he was wearing that thing and I left it on him even after the stitches were removed last Wednesday.

The cone came off this morning and I took Woody for a three mile hike before Rocco arrived, to get out at least some of his energy. The two dogs engaged with each other immediately. Woody made a pest of himself but Rocco handled it very well. I'm sure Rocco will get annoyed with him, but he was willing to tolerate him and even engage in some play. The adopters liked what they saw and completed the adoption later in the day. I'll have him until next Sunday when both adopters will be back home and ready to take him. Woody is the fourth shepherd I've adopted to these folks. I like that. 

Bailey was unhappy when I took Woody on the morning walk instead of her and she demonstrated her displeasure by destroying something in her crate when we were away. To make it up to her I took her on a four mile hike this evening, finishing just before dark. I think I'm forgiven.

Marvel and puppies continue to thrive. Marvel really likes my soup and she's eating a good serving of dog food with a couple ladles of the cream of chicken soup three times a day. Her digestive tract is back to normal and she's producing perfect poop. The puppies just eat and sleep, but they are growing. Marvel keeps a close eye on them. She still won't go outside for more than a few seconds. 

Woody and Rocco









The little bit of rain that no one asked for last night and this morning really made the leaves shine on these double inpatients, begonias, and caladiums. 



It's been a long time since anyone around here appreciated my cooking as much as Marvel.

Marvel and puppies




Happy autumnal equinox! I can't say that I love the shorter days, but I am ready for cooler weather.

No comments: