Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Black Tuesday

Well, I was laid off from my at-home job with LexisNexis today. Another victim of the Bush economy. Sort of a parting gift from our out-going president. I just wish he had departed 8 years ago, in a box. I'm not sure what this will mean for the rescue operation. Most people who do rescue also have jobs outside the home, but most of them do not keep 8-10 foster dogs at one time either.

I'm not going to miss the job itself. It was mostly mindless, trained monkey work. What I will miss (in addition to the income and health insurance), is the flexibility that it gave me. I generally had a quota of work to meet for the week. When I accomplished it was up to me. It enabled me to pick up dogs from all over, take them to the vet when needed, meet adopters, etc., at any time of day and any day of the week. A regular 8-5 job (assuming I can find one) will necessitate some cutting back.

Covering up the dark thoughts and looking for a bright side, I now have time to do more hiking with a couple of the fosters who need it (Lyka and Chance), as well as our own Emmylou, who loves it. It will also help me lose some weight, because no one is going to hire 50 year old fat guy.

No comments: