Friday, January 23, 2009

Facebook friends

I have a personal Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=632154350&ref=name, although I don't go there often to check it out. I should, because I had a few friend requests that I had not acted upon, and I don't like people to think I've been ignoring them. By the way, my Facebook picture isn't me, or even one of our dogs, it's Harlan, the best looking foster shepherd I ever had. His name is now Barth and he lives in North Carolina, I believe. Harlan sleeps on his back with all four feet in the air and his favorite toy is a stuffed bunny (with the appendages removed).














Anyway, when checking Facebook, I found a friend request from the folks who adopted Hercules from me several months ago. Herc was an owner surrender from a young guy in Charlottesville who was going to Iraq. (This is the major reason why I don't normally adopt to military people). Actually, Herc would probably have been given up regardless, because was insanely jealous and protective of his dad. Herc's owner had a girlfriend, and Herc did not see the need for her in their relationship. He was a bit unpredictable to say the least, and he needed to go to an experienced home for the safety of everyone concerned.


I didn't take him to adoption outings very often, because he was unpredictable and tended to attach himself to whoever held his leash and considered everyone else to interlopers. But Herc is a gorgeous dog and he got lots of inquiries over the internet. Finally one came along from some folks in the Tidewater area. They had experience with a difficult dog and definitely knew what they were doing. I met them in Williamsburg one day (someone else had done the home visit), and we did the adoption. Herc tested them severely in the beginning. To say it was a rocky start would be an understatement, but their love, patience, and training prevailed, and Herc is now a full fledged member of the family. My hat is off to these folks, and to everyone who takes in difficult, old, sick, or otherwise less than "perfect" dogs. In my experience, it is not those dogs who get returned. It's the ones who appear perfect and appeal to perfect looking families, who are then disillusioned when they discover that the dog has needs beyond what they are prepared to provide. What's the Statue of Liberty's line? "Give your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..." It doesn't say, "Give me those who don't need anything from me." Rescue dogs seeking new homes are like immigrants: homeless, needy, and carrying some baggage. But open the door and they will enrich your life. Hercules and his new owners have struck gold.

No comments: