Friday, January 2, 2009

Home at last!

Amy was one of my "temporary" fosters from CASPCA from the summer when they had to empty out a third of the shelter at a time so that the floors in the kennels could be re-surfaced. Her official CASPCA name was "Amisha," but I've just called her Amy. It actually doesn't matter what you call her because it appears that she's deaf anyway.


She is a very senior girl, and a grumpy sort. She doesn't have a lot of tolerance for young dogs jumping around and getting in her face. However, she's learned to get along with 6 or more of my other fosters, including a young pup. When I'd take her to outings she'd mostly stand there barking at the other dogs. Not aggressively, but noisily nonetheless.


Amy has arthritis too, and an eye condition that requires daily ointment. Needless to say, I didn't have a lot of takers. But, the week before christmas a woman called the SPCA to inquire about her. I happened to be there that day for their "Home for the Holidays" adoption event. I spoke with her by phone, took her number, and promptly lost it. Fortunately, she called me again after christmas.

She hadn't even seen Amy because her picture didn't come up on the website for some reason. I told her what I knew and we arranged a meeting on New Years Day. Well, she met the other dogs, made herself at home, and now has a new home. The adopter knows that she's a senior dog with some problems and will require some comfort care for the rest of her life. But she wanted to help a dog in need. There's a special place in doggie heaven for people like her. I was glad to see that she has children too, gives one hope for the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brent!! It's Crystal I'm sure if you remember me...I adopted Baron a few years ago and he had the terrible separation anxiety. I see he is in the picture with you... Please tell me that's an old picture and he hasn't been returned... my email is crycal@gmail.com