Saturday, January 10, 2009

A walk in the rain

Saturday was a busy day even without an adoption event. I've got two new fosters as of yesterday, a female shepherd and a female Belgian Malinois. Both came from the Orange County shelter, which Beth has turned into a fantastic no-kill facility, proving that it can be done even in a rural area. No pics of the new fosters yet, but the Malinois got treated with panacure this morning. The shepherd is so chubby there is no way she can have worms.

I did two home visits in Charlottesville this morning, both wanted puppies. In between the home visits I made a trip to CASPCA to pick up food and drop off the ringworm tests I took from Julie and Philly early this morning. The first test was negative after three weeks. If the second test grows nothing in the first week they will call it negative and they can finally go back and go up for adoption. If I thought these two dogs had ringworm still I wouldn't have had them housed with all my other fosters for the last month. Suffice it to say that I think this second test is an abundance of caution.

I got back home in time to give seven of the fosters a good romp in the pasture. Then two dogs arrived from Tidewater. My house was just a meeting point. One was picked up almost immediately and the second one a couple hours later.

It started raining, but Molly and Emmylou (two of our own dogs) and I went out for a walk on the Fluvanna Heritage Trail. Neither of the girls particularly likes rain, but it was fairly light rain and we were under trees most of the time. The term "walk" probably gives the wrong impression. "Forced march" more nearly captures the tenor of the hike, with me being the one under force. Both girls are very enthusiastic on the trails and like to set a fast pace. I need the exericse the most of any of us, so I pretty much let them set the pace while I just try to hold on without falling. Pulling my weight gives them more exercise too, and they are now sacked out in my office sleeping very soundly. I've been sleeping better since getting back to walking too. It really is the best and simplest thing to do for one's overall health. I highly recommend it, but it's a lot more fun with a dog or two.

No comments: