Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wet dogs

We are in the middle of a two day rain event here in central VA. They had originally predicted that this would start out with ice, so I'm happy they were wrong about that at least. But it is raining steadily and mud is quickly becoming the predominant feature of the landscape, and of our household decor.

The phrase "no one likes a wet dog" doesn't seem to translate into canine language. They hear that as "please come jump on me and give me a wet dog kiss." It is like wet cement to them, seen as a golden opportunity to leave their pawprints everywhere, preferably on me.

I don't normally bother going to adoption events when it is rainy, because in truth, no one does like a wet dog in spite of what all the dogs think. Even if the dog is clean, dry, and relatively good smelling, on a rainy day people ask themselves what it would be like to have such a dog on such a day, and they think better of it. However, I once had a couple come to my place on a cold, wet, dreary day to meet dogs. They spent a couple hours in the pasture with the dogs, and when they left they were as cold, wet, and smelly as the lucky dog they took home.



That dog was Charlie, a rottie mix, who looks remarkably similar to our Molly, as well as our first foster, Maggie, and several other rottie mixes that we've had. I'm a sucker for that look and they've all had similar personalities as well. Friendly, playful, high flying, happy dogs.

No comments: