Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekend Update

This was a weekend with two trips to northern Virginia, so it was a lot of driving. Saturday was the VGSR annual meeting and I was re-elected as a director for another year. Two and a half hours each way for a two and a half hour meeting, but at least the meeting was any longer and I still got home at a decent time.

Sunday I was back on the road going to a VGSR adoption event in Gainesville. I took 5 dogs: Score, Lyka, Philly, Betty, and Brady (the rottie pup formerly known as Braden). And I brought them all home again. Lyka was good for about the first hour and a half and then spent the rest of the time in the van. Philly was actually scared and refused to walk inside with another volunteer until I led the way with Score. Betty loves the entire world and assumes that it loves her back. She got a lot of looks and interest, but not from anyone I was interested in. The best news of the day was that Brady may have met his new mom. (She's still thinking about it.)

Here is Brady with Sable. Sable is one of my former fosters. Sable is afflicted with perianal fistulas. It's a chronic condition that requires quite a bit of management, but she's in the best possible home for it. If these folks hadn't come along, I don't know who would have adopted Sable because few people are willing or able to take on a dog with any kind of medical problem and rottweiler adopters are hard to come by anyway. Brady (or any other dog) will be one lucky little pup if he gets adopted there.

It was great to see Sable again. She may have remembered me, I'm not sure, but she only has eyes for her new dad and she is completely devoted to him. It's a level of devotion that makes German Shepherds look like slackers.

Here is handsome Score with Sable too. And Sable's pretty face. There is nothing like a rottweiler. They have the most expressive faces I've ever seen on a dog. I swear they can read our minds, and with a little effort, it's not difficult to understand what they want.


Once Philly got in the store and saw what was going on, she settled down and enjoyed herself. They all were ready to leave before the three hours were up, and no one made a noise on the entire trip home.

While we were in Gainesville, another rottweiler arrived at our house from West Virginia. We thought his name was Strider, but apparently it is actually Bear, so we have two Bears at the house now until the shepherd gets adopted, maybe this next weekend. He's a great looking rottie, bigger than I thought, probably 90+ pounds, but he seems very friendly. He met 3 of the other fosters today and got along fine. More to come on him soon.

1 comment: