Friday, January 16, 2009

Gretel's 12th Birthday

I was sitting around wondering what I was going to write about today when an unexpected gift arrived in my email inbox this evening--two pictures of a former foster, Gretel, taken on her 12th birthday.

Gretel came to us when her former owner was dying. That's a sad but not uncommon scenario. As I recall, the woman had been a breeder of German Shepherds and had slowly placed her dogs with various people or groups as she aged and became ill. She kept two or three dogs to the end, her favorites, including Gretel. If the date stamps on my photos are to be believed, this was in August of 2006.



Gretel was not a young dog then, and senior dogs can be very difficult to place. Gretel was a wonderful dog, however, impeccable manners, and she had lived with humans long enough to have us all figured out. She transitioned smoothly, even though life in foster care was not as comfy as she had enjoyed and deserved.


I don't know if Gretel had always lived a charmed life, but luck was certainly on her side when she needed it. Along came a couple who wanted a calm, smart, settled, senior dog. They adopted Gretel and have given her the most wonderful home I can imagine for any dog, but especially for a senior girl. I wish I could clone them. They live down near Roanoke and I did the home visit myself. An idyllic setting, where much thought and focus is given to Gretel's care and comfort.

This evening's email contained these two new pictures of Gretel, who has just turned 12 years old. She is still beautiful and still going strong. Gretel goes on business trips when possible, greets her dad at the bed every morning, and still plays ball and chases squirrels. And Gretel is even learning to fly. Her dad pilots his own Cessna aircraft and Gretel has specially made googles and ear protection. She always tries to climb into the plane and clearly wants to go along. This dog is so devoted to and so trusting of her people that she will follow them anywhere. Few people are worthy of that kind of trust and devotion. Gretel is lucky to have found two who are.

No comments: