Sunday, January 4, 2009

A new year, a new home for Jerry

Today was a VGSR adoption event in Sterling. I don't usually go to the Sterling adoption days anymore, because it's a 2.5 hour drive, at least. I went this weekend because I've been off work for most of the past two weeks and was needing something to do. I'm glad I went because I found a new home for Jerry.


Jerry is the one of three South Carolina dogs abandoned in the unfenced yard of a trailer vacated by his prior owners. Jerry was scared to death when he got here and took a few days before he trusted me enough to come near me. Once Jerry trusted me, however, I assumed the role of BFF (best friend forever). That's a heavy responsibility, particularly because he trusted no one but me for the first couple of weeks. The first adoption event we went to, he was glued to my side and hid behind me whenever possible. The second week he was better. He still stuck close, but he would let strangers approach and touch him. This week was his third week here and his third adoption event. He was more engaged with the other fosters at home this week, and he was much more engaging with strangers at today's adoption event. He actually sought out contact and affection from strangers. It was hard to believe he was the same dog. He still liked to have the security of a person nearby, preferably me, but he was fine when I handed off his leash to someone else.


Jerry's new family have dealt with a shy dog previously and they are kind, gentle, and seemingly rather quiet people, just the sort to make Jerry feel comfortable. They were impressed with his demeanor, and I was impressed with theirs. When a dog is as attached to me as Jerry was I feel an extra responsibility to place them in a home that is worthy of the trust and committment that the dog has given me. It's kind of tough to pass off a dog like that, but I think he will have a wonderful home and I'm happy for him.

No comments: