Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Babe, a soft launch

The pretty little golden retriever girl is named Babe.  I know that if I post a 10 month old golden pup on the web I'll get emails from all over, most from inappropriate persons, and I'll end up making most of them angry because I ask them to fill out an application or because I ignore their one line "send me more information" emails.  And then there's the people whose ignorance is so obvious that I'd hesitate to give them a stuffed dog, much less a beautiful pup with a ton of potential and many good options. 

So, I'm trying a "soft launch," defined as a release of a product or service to a limited audience.  In this case the product or service is Babe and the fact that she is available for adoption.  The limited audience are the readers of this blog and Facebook friends.  Most of my blog followers and Facebook friends are dog people and people I like, so I'm hoping to find her an excellent home by referral from someone I know without posting her on Petfinder.com, which would generate a flood of email from all over.
Babe with Trooper


She is 10 months old, born in December, 2010.  She is still a puppy and I've occasionally found one of my shoes on a dog bed, but she is really remarkably calm and well behaved for her age.  She has always lived indoors; I crate her at night; the only housetraining issue is some submissive urination she does when really excited with a full bladder.  She came from a long time breeder who had given up breeding and kept her as the pick of her last litter of puppies.  The woman surrendered her because she is an older woman who lives alone, she had two adult dogs (Babe's parents) already, and having the puppy on top of it was too much for her to handle.  Her pedigree shows 7 or 8 champions in the last three generations of her lineage.

She will be spayed prior to adoption and of course will have vaccines and a heartworm test.  No, I don't do xrays of hips or certify, promise, or guarantee hips, eyes, elbows or anything else. 

She is good with other dogs and responds appropriately as a submissive puppy to older dogs.  She likes toys and she loves attention, petting, human contact and affection.   

There is no "more information" available on this dog.  She is a puppy, a blank slate.  She will be what you make of her.  She has never known anything but kindness, and she appears to be free of psychological trauma.  I want to make sure she will always have a good, loving home with someone who is physically, financially, and otherwise capable of giving her a good home for her entire life. 

Feel free to circulate this to people you know who are good people and good dog owners who might be looking for such a pup.  I expect to have interest from more than one person who would be a good owner.  It is my job to try to find the best match, not necessarily the first one that comes along. 

Happy puppy

2 comments:

Nerdy Knitter said...

I sooooo wish we were in a position to have a 2nd dog--Babe looks wonderful! I also wish I knew the perfect person to recommend for her, but I don't. I know you'll find the right match for her--she's a lucky dog to have you weeding out the stupid folks!

Risa said...

Aww...what a cutie. I'm sure that the right family is out there just waiting for her.