Thursday, October 13, 2011

Incoming and outgoing

Tomorrow I'm supposed to meet this guy, Beau, at a meeting place off of I-81.

Check out this place where Beau is now.  I love the fence. 
I'm afraid my kennels pale in comparison, but it will be temporary, and necessary, step towards getting him into a real and proper home.

This was one of Buck's pups, adopted out 6 years ago. 
He's supposed to be coming back soon--kid problem.
Another nice young dog I adopted out a few months ago is coming back for the same reason.
From now on, anyone with children under 18 will have a tough time adopting a dog from me.

Well, here's my first exception to the "no adoptions to people with kids rule". 
But, Babe is a golden, not a shepherd, and she's a puppy (getting spayed tomorrow).
However, the biggest reason I'm making an exception is because the people are exceptional.
They are dog people and rescue people themselves.
Besides, rules are made to be broken. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you have two dogs coming back to you. On the other side this is better than may be getting banned to a kennel ourside or worse. I think that kids over 14 can handle guard dogs ok, it's the little guys were there can be trouble. In my experience it is usually not the dog that is the problem, but the parents who do not insist on animal appropriate rules around the dog. I have seen it too many times. Somehow it is ok for a kid to scream around the dog, pull on it, mess with it when it is eating etc.

Carolyn said...

When we were looking for a dog when my son was about 11, I didn't even consider GSDs or any other guarding breed. It's not that I don't love them, and I didn't worry about my son not treating the dog well. But I had visions of his friends being over, rough housing going on, and a GSD deciding that he had to protect "his" boy.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that pretty Babe has a good home.