Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hallelujah Hobby

Today was supposed to be VGSR's quarterly meeting (and election) in northern Virginia.  I awoke to the same cold rain that was falling last night and I was not inclined to drive 2.5 hours each way to a meeting I didn't want to attend in the first place, particularly because they were predicting that the rain would change to snow in some places.  I decided against making the trip and the meeting was postponed anyway. It was one of those muddy mornings, not fun for dealing with 16 dogs who still needed to get out, eat, poop, etc.  But when that was over, I had some local errands to run, and I returned a call from a VGSR applicant in Charlottesville who was interested in Hobby. 

I had a couple errands in Charlottesville too, so Hobby came along and we met the young man who will hopefully become his new human and home provider. 

I like a shepherd with a big head and I love the red and black markings and Hobby has both.  He's a well put together dog.  I liked the adopter too.  He's a grad student at UVA, and like me, he's from Kansas where he went to KU as an undergrad (I went to K-State), after which we both got out of Kansas for personal, professional, and political reasons.  Now, that's about where our similarities end but it seemed for a moment like I was looking at myself some 20 years (or more) back in time. 

Most importantly, he seems like a good fit for Hobby.  He needs a fairly laid back dog, which Hobby is.  Hobby needs someone he can trust and he expects that trust to be earned.  He staked out a spot in the living room and just laid down and watched us both as we talked.  They checked each other out and both seemed willing to give it a go.  I think it will be next weekend, giving me time to get Hobby's swollen scrotum under control.  Hobby has been easy in the house and he's becoming more trusting of me.  He's been fine with other dogs.  His prior owners are losers; he's a great dog, hopefully with a new home, Hallelujah

No comments: