Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Caught

Sunday I brought home Hobby (right).  Clay knew about that one.  We had a rough first night but now he's strictly an indoor dog and he's nice and quiet.  He's a good dog, very handsome, still a little freaked by the new people in his life (somewhat scared of me still), but he's fine with the dogs and good in a crate. 

He's had a lot of changes for an 8 year old dog to handle, particularly being dumped by the only people he had known.  He's doing better with it than I would.  I'm taking him in to be neutered Wednesday morning. 

I had sent an email to the group looking for a foster for him but got no response, so he's here until I can get him adopted.

Sunday evening I got an email about another VGSR dog that the foster was wanting to move out to another home.  This one is part rottie.   His name is "D" (left), which is a terrible and ridiculous name, but the prior owner had named him "Undertaker", which is even worse.  It may have been prescient on his part, however, because the old man who owned him (and failed to train him), moved into a nursing home and is probably on his way out. 

Anyway, this dog seems to possess typical rottie stubborness and he's gotten away with not doing anything he doesn't want to do for several years. 

He was proving to be unmanageable in his foster home so he came here Monday afternoon.  Clay wasn't home until after dark that night so they didn't meet and I didn't mention him. 

The dog and I had a little "come to Jesus" meeting last night and he's already come around quite a bit today.  He's friendly, fine with other dogs, and he was quiet last night.

Later in the day on Monday I got another email from the director of the Orange County shelter about another GSD that had come in just that day.  Her name is Mercedes (right).  She was a "field surrender."  Apparently her owners got evicted that day and they had no place to take the dog.  Someone called Animal Control who went out and they surrendered the dog on the spot.  I didn't even bother sending an email out looking for a foster home, I just went and got her today. 

She's just a year old and is quite the wild child, no manners, no training apparently, but she's sweet, friendly, and very pretty. 

She needs to be spayed and checked for heartworm, but the shelter gave her vaccines before we left today.

My plan was to get her home and settled in the big kennel with Thora, Radley, and D.  But Clay came home early today, before I got back and before dark, so I was caught.  He also noticed D for the first time.

I filled the doghouses with straw this evening because it's getting chilly at night.  Doggie introductions went well and I think Thora, Mercedes, and D will form a nice play group, tiring each other out and keeping themselves quiet. 

If Clay contacts you about wanting to do an intervention, tell him you can't make it.  This does bring us up to 11 fosters, but we've had more and our kennel license allows up to 20 dogs.  I think this is a pretty manageable arrangement in the groupings that we've got and I'm hopeful about adopting someone this weekend.  Still, the gate is closed.  No more for now or someone will have to go to a boarding kennel.  Probably me.

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

It's very hard to say no when there are so many dogs with no other options. The spousal "line in the sand" is a necessary part of animal rescue! Notice that most hoarders are single, although that might be because they are just plain crazy. Maybe asking people what they plan to name their dog would be a good screening question. People who answer Cujo or Undertaker or Grease Rag need not apply. Good luck with D. Rotties usually come around when they realize that a) they are not the CMFC, b) No one is going to hurt them, c) they get lots of love and treats when they behave. Plenty of play time helps too! Hmmm, this is a long comment. Maybe I need my own blog ;)

Wendy Harper said...

For awhile, I only took in all black feral cats for our barn colony, and I usually "forgot" to tell Greg about the new additions. He kept seeing them, but I convinced him it was all the same cat. It took almost a year (and several cats) before I got busted. It's much easier to hide a feral cat than a German Shepherd, I suspect.