Saturday, October 15, 2011

Bad night, good day

Radley, the new American Bulldog, was not happy last night.  It's not unusual for the first night here to be rough on a new dog.  Radley had been a house dog and found himself camping out last night against his will.  He barked and got others to bark with him.  About 1:00 a.m. I went out and gave him some meds to sedate him, but obviously not enough.  I finally went out about 3:00 a.m. and brought him indoors, up to a crate in my office.  He still wasn't happy and had the crate rocking enough that I was roused from a semi-conscious state thinking that we were having either thunder or a sustained earthquake.  I gave him a couple valium but he wouldn't, couldn't settle down.  I finally gave up and got up about 4:30 and went to the office to sit with him.  He was in a full blown panic attack, the likes of which I hadn't seen since Emmylou suffered through a thunderstorm.  He sat at my feet and eventually calmed down about dawn.  It's surprising that we don't have this problem more often, and when we do, it's genereally a shepherd.  For tonight, Radley is going into the shed with Luke and Ryland.  I hope that the company, and the fact that it's now Day Two, will make for a quieter night.  At least the sound should be muffled from inside the shed and if necessary I'll go out with a higher dosage right from the start.  He was calm and quiet outside all day, but clearly he was distraught last night.  On three hourse of sleep I wasn't too happy either. 

Things were better today and being up early I completed some of my unfinished work from Friday.  I took Benjii to the Caring For Creatures Dog Walk at Pleasant Grove.  It was a beautiful day for it, albeit a bit windy.  He had a great time meeting all the dogs.  I didn't find him an adopter, but I found the next best thing, a new foster home, and we took him there this evening.  Here are some pics from the day.

Benji meeting a German Shepherd Dog today.
He is accustomed to big dogs from being around here and he is fearless.
A Neapolitan Mastiff we met today.
Like a shar pei on growth hormones and steroids.

There was a frisbee dog demo at the dog walk today.
They were amazing, a Jack Russell, an aussie, and of course, a border collie.
This Benji meeting Raleigh.
Raleigh is looking much better now and is now up for adoption.
Another flying Border Collie.
Did I mention that they were amazing?
Two of three greyhounds a woman was walking together.
Calm, beautiful dogs, so well behaved.
Benji meeting Hugo, a huge, sweet, and gentle rottie mix.
Border collies can do anything.

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

Border collies can do anything except sit still ;) Hugo is a great name for a rottweiler! I hope Radley starts to relax soon. I always think of rescue dogs as refugees, pulled against their will from everyone and everything they know and put in completely unfamiliar and somewhat chaotic situations.

Advocates for Animals, Inc. said...

Great pictures! We usually have rough first nights with ours too. Sometimes putting them with the others helps, sometimes leaving them by themselves, sometimes, nothing helps! Hope you can get more sleep. I applaud your efforts at helping to save dogs!