Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday's dogs

Beau, in the back of the van on the way home.
Beau is a great looking dog.
Lots of road time today.  Started off by taking Babe to CASPCA this morning for her vaccines and spay surgery.  Then I came back home, fed everyone, and did a little bit of work.  About 1:00 p.m. I was back on the road headed out to Staunton to pick up Beau.  He came from another rescue group located in southwest Virginia.  The woman had Beau for a while, he had been through a couple homes unsuccessfully and she wasn't having any luck placing him.  Apparently he can be a bit of an escape artist, but he's chubby enough now that I don't think he will get out by jumping or climbing anyway.  He's neutered and current on everything, and just had a bath.  Seems like a nice enough boy, about 7 years old.  He rode in the back of the van for several hours today and quite a few stops, and we had no problems.  I put him into the kennel adjacent to Sparky and Gypsy Jr. because the fencing on that kennel is reinforced.  He seems fine in there tonight. 

On the back I stopped at the scenic overview just this side of Afton.  It was a pretty day.  This is the week you can really tell that the trees are starting to turn. 



I stopped at my vet's office on the way back through Charlottesville to meet and pick up this guy, Radley. His owner brought him in today to have him euthanized, for no real reason except that he didn't get along with her new boyfriend's unneutered pitbull. 

He looks very much like former foster Cooper (Teddy's big brother), who we believe to be an American Bulldog.  That's what the former owner said he was too. 

This poor guy has seen some of the worst that humanity has to offer.  He was originally surrendered to a shelter out of state by an owner who was too drunk to fill out the surrender form, and now he was almost killed to satisfy a low life boyfriend of the most recent owner.

He went into the L-shaped kennel next to Thora and Nero.  He seems like a nice boy.  I don't usually do the bully type breeds (other than rotties, who aren't really).  I got lucky placing Cooper, let's hope it can happen again for this guy. 

He knows a number of tricks, apparently, that may help.

My next stop was to buy cat food and then it was back to CASPCA.  It was still a little early to pick up Babe, but I needed to meet a rottie mix, Thumper.  He wasn't in his run, but I found him being walked out on the trail and spent a little time with him.  Apparently he was a little growly when he first came in, but I suspect it was fear.  He seemed fine now, mostly wanted to go about his business sniffing everything.  I'd guess that he's part rottie and part hound, and who knows what else.  I did not bring him home, although he reminds me a lot of our Bremo.

By this time it was about 5:00 p.m. and I went to retrieve Babe.  She was still pretty out of it from the surgery, so I had to carry her to the car.  At least I could carry this one, unlike Bo the rottie a couple weeks ago.  She snuggled into the crate and even once we got home she wasn't too interested in moving. 

I got everyone settled once we got home and now I've got to get to work.

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Sounds like you will soon have a full house again. Thank you for being there for all these needy dogs.