Sunday, January 13, 2013

Once more unto the breach

It's been probably two months since I've been to an adoption event, pre-Thanksgiving anyway, and it's been that long since I had a new foster, other than taking Herc as a transfer from other foster home.  Today I took in another transfer, Barack, who needs some play time, play space, and playmates, all of which we have here in spades.  I don't even have a picture of him yet, although he's already on the VGSR website.  I also took in two rotties today, but I only have one of them as of Sunday evening.

I took Herc up to the VGSR adoption event in Gainesville today.  He wasn't great with the first couple dogs we met, so I mostly kept him to himself.  Darlene went into the store and got him a variety of balls, and he was a happy dog after that.  He destroyed an over sized tennis ball while we were there, and an ordinary tennis ball, but there were a couple more substantial balls that I'll give to him tomorrow.

 

One of the dogs I had back before Thanksgiving was Bastian.  He's a young guy who had very red, swollen skin and feet.  He transferred to another foster home and she very quickly got him adopted.  They came by today to see us and he was looking great.  His new owners are wonderful people, f ully committed to taking care of him, and working through whatever his medical issues are.  He already looks much better, no swollen feet, no redness, and he has a nice new coat coming in.



Daisy was one of the lab/pyr pups I had a while back.  She came by today too.  She's still shy when she's out in public, but much less so than the last time I saw her, I think.  She's very pretty.



















Another dog I had taken in and then transferred was Rocky.  He's still with his new foster, straddling that gray area between foster dog and adopted dog.  Great dog.


















Zoey (left) and Zeus (right)
Zoey in her pink harness
And then there were the two new rotties, Zoey and Zeus.  They are brother and sister, just over two years old.  Their owners have health problems and knew that they may not be able to care for them.  Fortunately, they knew a VGSR person who knew me, and you can pretty much figure out the rest.

They are lovely dogs, well trained, already spayed/neutered, and up to date on vaccines.  They were given to us along with all their toys, food, crates, and assorted dog paraphernalia.  The owners were nice folks in a bad situation who wanted to do what was best for the dogs, and I'd like to think that they did by giving them to me. 

Aries (left) and Blu (rottie/dobe mix, right)
I stopped in Warrenton on the way home at the home of Aries, and Blu, two former foster rotties.  They had recently lost their senior rottie girl and they welcomed Zoey into their home on the spot.   She seemed quite content there, and quite capable of handling the two boys, even if they were bigger than were there before her.  She couldn't have landed in better hands. 
Zoey (right) checking out her new big brother, Aries (left)

Zeus came on home with me and met our household pack.  He's in a crate in my office tonight and I'll start on finding him a home tomorrow.  I've got a couple of people to check with who might be interested.  He's a great dog. 










Zoey in her new backyard
Zeus is aptly named, he has the head of
a rottweiler god.



No comments: