Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Breakthrough?

I'm behind on my work already this week and was debating about whether to go to Gigi's class tonight.  It was a beautiful day so she had been outside all day in the dog yard along with Zachary, Trooper, Bremo, and Zeus.  Even though the weather was so nice, Cabell, Lady, and Vince preferred to be inside.  Gigi would have too, actually, but I told her to stay outside and enjoy the day.  When it was time for class, I put her in the van when I brought the others back indoors.  I could tell the days are slowly getting longer because it was still light when I left for the 6:00 p.m. class, whereas a few weeks ago it was dark before I even left home. 


I'm not sure that Gigi would say she enjoyed it, but she didn't hate it tonight and I think she had a few moments of fun anyway.  She was definitely more relaxed and comfortable around the people and the other dogs.  She would let people touch her and a few times she even went up to strangers and initiated the contact herself. 

Justice, Trisha and William's big Pyr



Bandit is a cute little dog.
The first session of the class she had spent trying to hide behind me or otherwise make herself invisible so she could pretend that this wasn't happening.  She still sticks pretty close to me, but I don't have a problem with that and never will. 


I remember how Emmylou used to love meeting new people and would go around introducing herself and making polite conversation.  I don't think Gigi will ever be that dog, but it was nice to see that if we continue to work on it, she may become comfortable in social settings.  At least comfortable enough to look at a stranger and say: "Yes, I know I'm beautiful.  You may pet me now."   When we got home, she went directly up to the bedroom and stretched herself across the pillows and went to sleep.  Being nice to people is exhausting.
Bandit and the little cattle dog, Nicki. 
She is very smart.
Mickey is by far the best
trained dog in the class.
He's a German Wirehaired Pointer.
Great looking dog and very smart.









Black dogs are notoriously difficult to
photograph but Gigi sure does her part.
Point a camera at her and she poses.
Mickey in front and Gigi behind.
Notice that two different people are petting
Gigi and I am some distance away.


Gigi "downed" for me a couple times.
When I was training Gypsy to do this
she learned it, showed me that she knew it,
and never did it again.

No comments: