Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Progress

Maya playing with Patton.  He harassed her and I
enjoyed every minute of it on Trooper's behalf.
To remain stagnant is to die, you've got to keep moving forward.  Sorry conservatives, but that's the way it is.  "Leave it to Beaver" was fine in it's day, but it's day is done. 

There's been a lot of progress around here in recent weeks--home improvement progress.  I've taken down all the old kennels except the one we call the canopy kennel behind the shed, the kennel that was just recently re-built following the damage from the derecho a year ago.  Sparky is in that one now; all the other kennels are gone.  The only one I'm planning to rebuild right now is the one adjacent to the puppy shed (where Bremo was born and where Sparky had been living until recently). 

Justin has been doing a lot of the things that I can't or won't do around here and I've been doing some others.  There's not a lot of show at this point even though a lot has been done.  Suffice it to say that a lot of rotten wood has been replaced, things have been moved, rebuilt, and improved upon.  I'm catching up on a lot of what realtors call "deferred maintenance."



New dog house in the dog yard,
moved from the kennel that had housed Nero
(after being thoroughly disinfected).
Notice the new light on the shed, there's also a gable
vent and fan on the opposite end of this shed, the doors
have been repaired and the window is about to be.










My fostering model going forward is one or two at a time, not 6, 8, 10, or more.  The old kennels really needed to be demolished and rebuilt, so this will enforce my new limits.  And I'm really enjoying having time to myself and time with Clay on the weekends, to work around the house, or do something different.  I'm still not able to do nothing and probably never will be, that's not the way of progress. 

Dog news:  Daphne is coming on Thursday to stay again while her mom is out of town.  Maya and I went to visit Patton.  I found and blocked Maya's most recently escape route and she's stayed in the dog yard for the last couple of days.  I know she's still plotting, but so am I. 


The "puppy shed" where Bremo was born,
with a new coat of primer, paint to follow.
This will be Sparky's re-built kennel with re-built dog house
moved from the old kennel complex.  There will be two
canopies and some other stuff to climb on.




This was the site of the big, three-kennel complex. It is gone and will not be back.
I've used the kennel panels to try to keep Maya confined to the dog yard.
I still have a few kennel panels to remove but they are
overgrown with Virginia creeper and poison ivy that I have sprayed.
Somewhere on this blog is a "before" shot of this area, but I don't have time to search for it.




No comments: