Monday, July 1, 2013

Walking with Maya

I'm afraid to say it out loud around her because I think she'd take it as a challenge.  I don't think she has internet access to read this blog so I may be safe in saying it here in print that I think I've finally got Maya contained.  She hasn't gotten out of the dog yard since I completed the 6' barrier fence.  A couple times I've peaked out and seen her checking out the perimeter as if she's looking for a weak spot, and she may just be toying with me, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I went back to the double leash system for security.
One is attached to a leather slip collar and the
second to an Easy-Walk harness.

Of course, now that she can't roam about at will or run the pasture whenever she wants, I've become responsible for her exercise and entertainment.  It rained this morning and Monday is my busiest work day so I didn't get anyone out to the pasture.  By late afternoon I was feeling the need for some exercise myself so Maya and I went up to Pleasant Grove for a hike. 


It was cloudy all day and looked like rain but we got ours
early in the morning.  The rest of the day was just muggy.

I don't fool myself into believing that our hour plus walk was a lot of exercise for a young dog, but aside from the walking the sights, sounds, and especially smells are stimulating and entertaining for her.  Besides, she had been outside all day in the dog yard and she was ready for a nap inside rather than a hike. 


She was a bit nervous at first but she relaxed and enjoyed it once she realized what we were about.  I tried to stick to the roadway and well-mowed trails in the hope of avoiding ticks, but I pulled one off of her as soon as we got home and two off of me, but I think I picked them up from her.



We made a loop at one point and then doubled back.  She noticeably picked up on our scent when we came back to the starting point of the loop.  She may become a good trail dog yet. 








1 comment:

Rowdy said...

Only because she didn't want to get out.