Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sunday float

An interesting rock formation that looks like a cave with
the water at this level.
Herons are somewhat accommodating when it comes to
photos, they at least give you a chance.  The bald eagles
are much tougher.  They sit up in trees and I usually spot
them as they take off just as I pass them.  I'm never fast
enough with the camera.
I had a four day weekend, which was great, and I had planned to do at least a couple float trips down the Rivanna with my canoe.  The river had other plans.  I drove down to the boat ramp at Palmyra on Wednesday evening to scope it out for a possible float on Thursday.  The water was high, very muddy, and looking rather violent.  There was an obvious upstream current caused by the old bridge piling near the boat ramp.  That was enough to tell me that I didn't want to deal with it.  We had a few days with little or no rain and the river began to settle.  I checked again Saturday evening and it looked great, so I headed out none too early on Sunday morning. 

The water wasn't completely clear but it no longer appeared muddy.  The water level was high enough that most of the rocks were mostly covered, but there were still a few places I had to pick a route through some rapids.  The current was fairly strong and I paddled a fair amount, making the trip in about 2.5 hours.  Not record time, but not a completely lazy, beer guzzling, fest of sloth either.  At my starting point, there were three kayakers who were waiting on two others to arrive so I got off ahead of them.  I never saw them again, or anyone else on the river for that matter, so I had it all pretty much to myself.

I saw the normal and expected wildlife: deer, bald eagles, lots turtles, and Great Blue Herons.  I had plenty of time and the river was good so I should have tried the next section of the river, from Palmyra down to Columbia but I didn't think of that until we were at the Crofton boat ramp at Rt 600 where I put in.  Maybe next time. 

Dog news:  Maya stayed put in the dog yard for a few days, but as I suspected she was just plotting.  The last couple days she has managed to slip out without me seeing how she did it.  I found one spot, a burrow under the fence, and blocked it up.  I think I found her next spot and have it secured now too.  We will see.  Smart money is on her to find another way out.  She reminds more and more of Molly all the time.  Very independent. 



One of my heron friends in flight.


Herons are pretty predictable too.  They sit and look for fish
where the water is shallow, usually where the river bed has
a shelf.  It's tough to photograph there because I need my
hands on the paddle to get through the rapids.






1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Our GSD is a regular Houdini also. He has a lot more time to think up escape routes than I have to fix them :( I predict you will need the hotwire for Maya!