Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Maya Project, phase I

Maya, on the wrong side of the dog yard fence.
She jumps out, does her walkabout, and then comes back.
The fence jumping seems only work in one direction.
Phase I of the Maya Project is all about containment.  She knows this is home now and she usually doesn't go far or for long, but I have too much anxiety to have a dog around that I can't locate when I want to. 

I've joined the kennel panels with clamps
and secured them to the dog yard fence
with bungee cords so she can't get behind
them or pull them down.
I've been taking down most of the kennels and using the panels to ring the dog yard with a 6' barrier.  Today I added a few more and I secured those that were in place so she can't push between them to get access to the 4' fence behind.  I'm still two panels short, and I have them, but they are embedded in the ground and overgrown with vines and brush after being in situ for many years.  Getting them out is a major project.  There's Virginia Creeper and even some poison ivy, so I'd like to do some spraying and wait a bit before I go digging around in there.

I used part of a wire crate to extend the
height of the gate after seeing her jump over that.
I've been working on some other projects in conjunction with Project Maya, painting the shed, rebuilding one kennel, and of course, mowing, but I really want to get Phase I completed this weekend.  I have some 6' chain link fence that I think I can use to fill the remaining gaps.

Maya, Trooper, and Gigi lounging on the porch of the shed.
Maya doesn't always jump out, just when the mood hits her.

 
Phase II is training, I think I actually need to put some work into this girl on basic obedience stuff.  Phase III is the new dog yard fence, but that won't happen until this fall. 


Maya is still officially a foster but she's been eating our food and living indoors ever since we trapped her and got her back home.  The last "foster" that ate our food and lived indoors was Gigi. 



The dog yard is taking on the look of a prison compound.  There's no razor wire, yet,
but I will install a hot wire if needed.  The fencing dudes will come up with something that
is secure but more attractive.  This will work in the meantime, and it will prevent me from
taking in more fosters than I can keep indoors.





No comments: