Monday, June 3, 2013

River in the rain

The water was warm, clear, shallow.
I put in a couple hours of mowing on Sunday morning and then got out for a float trip down the Rivanna in the afternoon.  It was cloudy and they were predicting off and on rain but no storms.  Not long after I put in it started to sprinkle a bit, but that was really pretty pleasant.  It had been a hot, dry week and the water level in the river was dropping, so the prospect of a little rain was not entirely unwelcome. 

The river is a different experience each time I float it.  The water level was lower this time so I had to pick my route more carefully to make it through some of the shallow stretches.  The last trip was full of eagles and the time before that there had been turtles everywhere.  This day I didn't seen any of either one. 

From some distance away I spotted a deer, apparently down at the water's edge having a drink.  I floated quietly, paddling only to steer, so I could get as close as possible without spooking him.  He didn't seem to be moving and stayed longer than I expected for a deer having an afternoon drink.  As I got closer I could see that he was actually standing out in the river eating vegetation that was emerging from a sandbar that was being exposed as the water level dropped.  He finally did take off, but I got closer than I had expected.

I saw a number of ducks, mallards, including a few with ducklings.  This group allowed me to float past them without taking flight or swimming for the shore to take cover.  They moved slightly closer to the bank but they were pretty intent on feeding and didn't pay much attention to me.


The Great Blue on his perch.
I only saw one Great Blue Heron but he allowed me to get pretty close as well. 

Not a great pic, but this is the heron in flight.
When he took off he actually flew upstream, towards me.
When I had about a half hour to go, I began to hear some thunder, and the rain went from a few sprinkles to a pretty heavy downpour.  It was the incentive I needed to pick up the pace.  I was soaked when I arrived but it didn't matter.  Good exercise, good trip, good day.  I slept very well that night. 



These last pics were taken along a bend in the river that I think is the prettiest stretch of the Rivanna.

There's a high bank on the left that almost feels mountainous.
  
There are some interesting rock formations.
 
There's a nice sandbar on the right that would be a great place to stop for lunch or to camp.


Around the bend the river straightens out, with lush green banks that are pure Virginia.

No comments: