Friday, June 21, 2013

Solstice, spleen, and staples

Today marks two weeks since Zachary's surgery to remove his swollen spleen.  We went back today to have the staples removed.  The incision was healed nicely and he was already growing hair back where it had been shaved.   He never licked or messed with the incision so we had never used a cone on him.  Some of them were a little tough to remove, but they are all out now.  He squirmed a bit but not as much as I would have done.  He gave everyone kisses when it was over.  I didn't give kisses but did take in a big bag of chocolate as a thank you.

Zachary may have more than his share of medical problems, but thankfully he's about the most cooperative one we've got when it comes to veterinary treatment.  If this had been Trooper laying on his back getting staples plucked from his belly, today would have been very different.

Today is the high holy day, Summer Solstice.  I should be working outdoors until dark to celebrate, but I did that yesterday and I'm sore today.  I did just enough today to work out the soreness and I'm going to a movie this evening.   I'll hit the outdoor work again tomorrow morning. 



2 comments:

julie garrou said...

Aww, it's so nice when they're cooperative and understanding at the vet's office. My border collie was that way. My current neurotic hound would take someone's hand off. He'll be good as new before long

Cathy L said...

I have a small scar on my arm where Tigger accidentally scratched me having his staples removed. It was after gall bladder surgery that he wasn't supposed to survive. It reminds me how brave he was. They can be amazing when they're recovering. Much braver than I.