Thursday, June 20, 2013

On the eve of Summer Solstice

Hercules and Augie
Thursday started out like most days.  I started work about 6:30 a.m. and then did the food and medicine routine about mid-morning.  I did a little more work and then loaded up Hercules and Riley.  They were going to meet prospective fosters and adopters, respectively.
 


Hercules on the deck at his new foster home
Chris, who has been bringing Garth over to meet Herc, is interested in fostering him.  Garth has EPI like Herc and they have a very similar look as well.  It will be good for Herc to get back to living indoors so we can tell prospective adopters that he's housetrained and that his EPI is stabilized.  Garth started barking at Herc again as he had done here, but I think he's just frustrated because Herc ignores him and won't play.  They will work out a relationship of some sort and I do hope that Herc learns to play.  He's over there for a trial run this weekend to see how it goes.


Trooper

Riley's prospect came from the internet posting I had done for her a few weeks ago.  They are former rottie owners and have four dogs now, but no Rottweiler.  It is a great home, great people, and Riley got along with all the resident canines, and the humans too, of course.  They are going out of town for a few days but we hope to meet and do the adoption one day next week. 



This year's family of swallows on our front porch.
The babies got too big for the nest in the corner
so they all perch together on the next column.
So Riley came back home with me today but Herc did not.  I am moving Augie to an adopter on Saturday so we are finally making a little progress around here.  Toquima's folks got back home today in time to come out to get him this evening.  He has a good time here, I think, but he was very happy to see them and to be going home.  Daphne is with us until next Tuesday, but she and Toquima both are just like one of the family around here.



Trooper and Maya
She's back to trailing the long line again
so I can catch her if necessary.
I got home in time to put in about four hours of work outdoors before dark and I spent it dismantling kennels.  I haven't taken in any new fosters lately and that is the plan.  Several of the kennel spaces really weren't looking good.  I had thought about relocating them and I think I will, eventually.  For right now, however, I'm going to use the 10' x 6' kennel panels to completely enclose my dog yard in an effort to keep Maya from jumping out.  The fencing company called me back and I still plan to have them rebuild the dog yard fence and do some other fencing on the property, but that's a couple months off so I'm using the kennel panels as a temporary solution.
 

We've got several senior dogs right now and they need and deserve more time and attention.  I'm burned out from being on the VGSR board, and burned out on a lot of the foster and adoption process.  I doubt that I'll quit fostering entirely, but I am going to get off the board at the end of the year (if I last until then) and I'm pulling way back on the number of dogs that I take in.  One, maybe two, at a time.  That's what most people who foster do. 








Hercules, Toquima, and Maya

No comments: