Saturday, June 22, 2013

Augie's rainbow



Augie's adopter met me near Williamsburg late this afternoon and took him home.  I was kind of sad about this one, he's such a great little guy.  I hope everything will work out well for him.  There was some intermittent rain on the drive and at one point I spotted this rainbow.  It's actually a double rainbow, the second is very faint in the picture, off to the right. 

I had most of the day at home to work outdoors and I got a lot done, although my list of things to do never seems to get any shorter. 



While working around the kennels I lifted a board and found a baby snake.  There's nothing in these pics to give a sense of his size, but it was definitely a young one, probably not more than 12" long if he was fully stretched out.  I've seen so many posts on Facebook about encounters with "copperheads" accompanied by pictures of plain old blacksnakes.  This little guy is the first thing I've seen that I thought could be a copperhead.  The color is right but the markings aren't exactly, but he's a juvenile so the pattern wasn't fully developed yet.  I was a bit more careful when lifting anything off the ground after that. 



A less startling find was this little nest, woven mostly out of dog hair, probably Cabell's.  I think it's a hummingbird nest and I have seen juvenile hummers around lately.  They are even smaller than the adults, thinner bodies, and are mostly grey, lacking the adult plumage.  They have been going through my hummingbird feeder food fast.  I refilled them all today. 







I got the rotties out to the pasture for a good romp today.  Riley will be going to her new home probably Monday or Tuesday. 











Herc and Garth laying together
Herc is doing well in his new foster home!  Both dogs are settling down and Herc is even following Garth around.  They are dealing with his ball obsession by taking it away from him except at times they play fetch.  That forces him to do something else (hopefully something more normal) when the ball isn't around.  I think it's a great idea.

A bloom on our magnolia






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all that you do! That picture of Herc is all because you took the time to are for him! What another great success!!!