Saturday, April 12, 2014

Going out of town

Vince is probably 11 years old now, but still
loves to get out and run in the pasture.
The most difficult thing I do isn't taking care of 10-12 dogs at a time, it's leaving them. Going away for vacation is tough, whether it's for 2-3 days, or a week or two. I don't suffer from canine separation anxiety the way dogs do from the mere fact of being apart, it's stress from worrying about their safety and well-being. Some of the dogs are easy and relatively worry free, as long as they have food and shelter. Then there's those like Maya (flight risk), and Trooper (fear aggression), and Cabell (advanced age).
Maya out front, and Gigi


We've been pretty lucky over the years. I found an older couple who board dogs, mostly retired from it now, and they were savvy enough that I never worried about the dogs when they were with them. But that is an outdoor, open-air facility, which isn't great for older dogs or winter time. I've found another kennel run by a rescuer who developed a relationship with Trooper so I can safely board him. But with the number of dogs we have, and the fact that the number has included a few seniors, a house sitter is really what we need. We've had a few nursing students that Clay found and they have worked out well (nurses are both smart and caring by nature), but they graduate and move on and they aren't always available over holidays.
The strategy was for her to walk Maya
while I walked Trooper. I got him up
close and he was fine, but I never felt
that I could hand off the leash, that's
probably my problem.



It was fortunate then that we met Lisa one day. She sits for dogs, horses, and houses, and she immediately instilled a feeling of confidence and trust. We explained Trooper's problem with new people and she wanted to meet him. She's been out to the house a couple of times to see the pack, most recently yesterday. I leashed up Trooper and Maya and we headed out to the pasture for a get acquainted walk. Gigi and Vince came along, off leash, and we were later joined by Cabell.
Maya


A meeting of the minds.
Maya was quite comfortable with her.
Trooper was a butthead when they met, but he was fine once we were out walking. I still think that boarding will be the solution for him, and Lisa will have her hands full with everyone else around here anyway, particularly the challenge of keeping Maya at home. We have a trip coming up to Kansas at the end of May, New York at the end of June, and then England again in September. I hope to have fewer foster dogs (I can always hope), but even our own core pack is still six dogs (Gigi, Trooper, Maya, Vince, Sparky, and Cabell), and the only way I can go away is if I feel they are going to be safe.
Cabell joined us in the pasture.
He proceeded on a slow stroll around the entire
perimeter of the pasture.










Trooper


Vince has decided to make
himself indispensable by herding
the fosters when I move them
between the house and the dog yard.

Gigi enjoyed the pasture time, she likes to get
out and stretch those long legs occasionally.

I had an email from someone interested in meeting
Ochie after she moves in May, and there's a few
folks coming to meet O'Keefe on Sunday.


1 comment:

Lori said...

I can't imagine the stress of leaving your pack! Yikes! I'm glad you have some options and you have friends in the dog community. I have 2 dogs. Been trying to find someone I can trust to leave my dogs with for 3 days 3 times a year and it seems impossible! Our vet but they would be locked in crates except for potty breaks a few times a day!