Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Spring walks

I'm as happy as everyone else that winter is finally coming to an end, although it does seem to be throwing one last cold snap at us now. One thing about cold weather though, it's better for hiking. There's no ticks, mosquitoes, flies, or sweat, and the cold encourages fast movement. I've noticed that my pace is slowing a bit already and I expect that will continue to get slower and slower as it gets hotter and more humid.
Sparky drinking water from
a hydrant near the pole barn.

It's still pretty decent right now though, and I'm hoping that if I shed some pounds I'll be able to handle the heat better. I know I'm going to have to watch out for the dogs as it gets hotter. On Monday I did eight miles with Sparky and I found myself planning the route as we went based on available water for him.
One of the many small streams we cross.

There's quite a few streams that we cross and I guess the water is safe for a dog, they've been drinking it for quite a while. It's all very recent rainfall right now, but I do discourage him from drinking standing water, with only mixed success.

The nice thing about hiking in the spring in spite of the ticks is the fact that the trees are coming out, things are blooming and growing. It's pretty and it gives me an excuse to stop occasionally to catch my breath and take some pictures.
Redbuds and dogwoods

On Tuesday I did five miles with Ochie, after the morning rain and before the cold front moved in. He was really wanting to go and we had the trail system pretty much to ourselves.
Ferns








Sparky's favorite watering hole


Violets

Ochie doesn't seem to need as much
water as Sparky does, but it was a cooler day.




Five miles with Ochie on Tuesday.
Eight miles with Sparky on Monday

2 comments:

kechner said...

I've never been to that park. Is it good walking with dogs terrain?

Brent said...

There are many miles of trails at Pleasant Grove; it's a great place to walk dogs. The trails are in a wooded area mostly, lots of up and down, not flat walking, there's some muddy spots if it has rained.