Monday, April 14, 2014

An outing

From VGSR adoption event in Gainesville, 04-13-2014

Roxie, a former foster, came by for a visit.
Ochie was more attached to me than
usual and less interested in interacting
with other people.

Trinity went to a new foster home yesterday and I know it will be the best thing for her, but I couldn't help but feel bad when I left.

She had finally come to trust me, at least most of the time.  She was getting really attached to me, however, even to the point of trying to keep other dogs away from me sometimes at home, claiming me as her own.

I think, I hope, it will be easier and quicker for the next new person to earn her trust.

She's in a foster home now with a woman and two other dogs and she did well getting acquainted. I know this was a move that she needed to make and that it will get her closer to a permanent placement. Still, I kind of miss her.











Max was better than I expected him to be. He actually kissed a couple people. His prey drive towards small dogs was evident, however.

I had someone else handle him and work with him for a while and he pretty much confirmed my assessment, which is that the dog needs constant direction and re-direction. He corrects but it doesn't "take."

I held him for a while until he was showing signs of stressing out and then put him back in the van.










O'Keefe was well-behaved as I expected. Everything was new to this dog but his reaction is great, he's calm and just observes, taking it all in. He would let anyone handle him and would willingly walk with anyone.

He was good with people and other dogs.

He had a lot of interest.
O'Keefe






2 comments:

Julie Garrou said...

Can I trade you my hound dog for O'Keefe? LOL. He looks to be an easy adoption. All dogs are wonderful, but some are
ready-made successes, aren't they? Hopefully the humans he ends up with will be worthy of him, but I'm sure you'll see to that.

Brent said...

Julie, I think O'Keefe would make a great companion for your hound.