Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Making Room

Max, Toquima, and Maya
This is Barkley, very cute.
Groot
Dog jam at the door of the shed when
I released Groot and Barkley after
feeding them inside.
I don't take in nearly as many dogs as I used to, but we still have more than we need, and I really need to start working on moving a few, especially the long term fosters, Max, Ochie, and Charlie.

I've done some re-arranging of the dogs physically to impact the affect they have on each other and on me. And we have a couple returning faces around here now as well.

Toquima is back for a few more days. He's easy to accommodate as he gets along with everyone and his house manners are good (after an initial entry mark). The rottie, Grady, that I had a few weeks ago is back with a new name, Barkley. He's not quite ready for prime time, it seems, with a continuing problem with fear aggression towards strangers. He's sweet and submissive towards me, however, and he's a great playmate for Groot and the others, but mostly for Groot.
Trooper, Toquima, and Maya

Barkley and Toquima getting acquainted.
This was their first meeting.
I had separated Ochie from pretty much everyone because he makes Max crazy and Groot doesn't like him at all. He was in the kennel adjacent to the dog yard, or I'd just keep him in the pasture during the day, but Barkley was obsessed with barking at him and running the fence. Barkley missed several meals because of it and it was clear I needed to move Ochie again. I'm thinking that I will introduce him to Sparky and let him share Sparky's space, but in the meantime I'm keeping him in a smaller fenced yard on the far side of the house, out of sight of the dog yard. Charlie is now mostly indoors or in that yard during the day as well, and Charlie still gets along with Ochie.
They got along fine, no problems.

Max has moved indoors, pretty much full time. Trooper isn't too happy about that and he's been sulking a bit. Vince is even less thrilled with it, particularly because Max has bedroom privileges as well. But I think it may set Max on the path to adoption. He's a different dog indoors, near me and away from the craziness of the dog yard. He's calm, he's quiet, he's well-mannered, and for the first time ever, he pays attention. I'm hoping.





Groot, Toquima, and Barkley

Groot, Max, Barkley, and Toquima


Max, Toquima, Trooper, Maya, and Groot
Max with a frisbee, Groot, and Maya laying
behind. I let Max play for a while, but brought
him back inside before he got crazy.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all that you do for these fur babies. They are so lucky to have you! I know that with the different personalities, the coordination of who goes where, has to be very stressful. However, it is not in vain!!