Monday, November 10, 2014

Almost Home?

I am Groot.
I went to a VGSR adoption event up in Gainesville on Sunday. I took Max, who is a VGSR dog, and Groot, who is not. I think we may be getting close to finding a home for Groot.
"Yeah, that's the spot."

He loves public events and really works the crowd. He's good with other dogs there too, not displaying the rough and rowdy play style he uses on Barkley at home. He met several interested potential adopters and absolutely everyone loved him.

Actually, Groot's "spot" is anywhere.
Anyone who met Groot yesterday might
conclude that he's incapable of sitting down
without someone to lean against.
If both of the folks that I was interested in follow through, I'll have to make a choice. Both are good homes, each offering something different, but both have things that Groot needs, primarily a playmate of his age and activity level, and adults in the home with energy and experience.  We will see what comes of it, but I'd love to get this guy placed soon.


































I held Max myself and passed off
Groot to other volunteers.
I also took the "new Max" along for his debut. He was better at a public event than he's ever been and everyone who had seen him before agreed. He got a lot of looks, of course, because he's gorgeous. One person who approached me about Max turned out to be one of the folks who might be good for Groot. Maybe Max will be a bait-and-switch dog that I can take to adoption events.

Everyone who wanted it got a sniff and a kiss from Max,
which is a first for him. Everyone got a sniff, kiss, and a hug
from Groot whether they wanted it or not.
Max lasted almost two hours. The crowd of people, dogs, cars, and general activity level finally got to be too much. He was handling it well, mostly just watching and taking it in, but he was stressing so I put him back into the van to decompress. He chilled there for the last hour or so that we were there. I took him back out to meet someone just before we left, but he just wanted to go home.

Max and Groot were complete opposites. What Groot loved every minute of was pure torture for Max. I fall somewhere in between, but probably closer to Max's end of the spectrum. Three hours of talking and being nice to people is a strain.











No comments: