Monday, September 5, 2016

The Danish Girl(s)

Sunday broke early with someone needing to get up and go outside. That's how many of our days begin. I did the morning dog routine and then we ate "breakfast", consisting of a brisket I had cooking in the crock pot overnight. With a full stomach and still lacking a loading dose of coffee, I went back to bed in hopes of a quick nap. As soon as I hit the bed I was joined by Gigi, Maya, and the big girl, Khaleesi.
Maya and Khaleesi

I had been keeping Khaleesi off the bed because it was a habit I didn't want to encourage. Gigi has always been enough dog in bed all by herself. But this morning was Khaleesi's last morning with us -- she had an adopter coming to meet her in the afternoon, so I said WTF. She snuggled like it wasn't her first time at the bedroom rodeo.

We went to meet her adopters early Sunday afternoon. They were prior adopters from Green Dogs and they brought their deaf and blind Dane, Blossom, along to meet Khaleesi. The two girls sniffed and seemed fine together. I expect they will become good playmates and I hope that Khaleesi will help Blossom navigate the big dark and and soundless world she inhabits.


Gigi may not miss her, but she was gracious in sharing her
realm with Khaleesi for a couple weeks.






























Monday morning also started early and it also ended with a Dane adoption, but instead of going back to bed after breakfast, Maya and Athena and I went out for a five mile hike. We got back home without much time to spare before Athena's adopter arrived. I have known the adopters for nearly as long as I've been doing rescue and have adopted two dogs to them previously. They live in Georgia now, but I can't hold that against them.
Meeting the green dog at Green Dogs Unleashed.

I had all but forgotten that Athena came to Green Dogs because she has a heart murmur. We had that checked out and it was determined that nothing needed to be done for it, but it still exists and it's a factor that could have made her less desirable for many potential adopters. However, one of the spouses who adopted Athena is a cardiac nurse who understood what it did and didn't mean.

Although nothing in life is certain and there are no guarantees, the adopters understood that this should not prevent Athena from living a happy and normal life full of love and happiness for however long it is.

Athena is certainly full of love and overflowing with happiness and joy.

I'm going to miss both these girls and our house seems empty with only nine dogs tonight. It was a pleasure and a privilege to be their fosters, their bridge to their future.









No comments: