Thursday, September 14, 2017

Theo and Maya

I have been doing shorter hikes to accommodate older dogs. Lately, however, I have been feeling the need to do at least five miles so yesterday I took Theo and Maya knowing that they could handle the distance without any problem. We did have a couple water breaks for them at stream crossings, but they both took a quick drink and were ready to go on.

At our first water crossing, the one I call
Sparky's Watering Hole. 
Theo was out front the entire way and set a faster-than-normal pace with his long legs and enthusiasm. Maya would take the lead when she caught the scent, sight, or sound of deer, but mostly she walked beside or behind me, although she had no trouble keeping up. The temperature was back to the 80s and very humid after the recent sprinkles and mist we got from Irma, so it was a hot weather hike and I was glad that I had left TJ and Trooper at home.



Theo led the way but somehow he managed
to go the wrong direction at every intersection.
I think Maya was in back just shaking her head.


Dogwood leaves beginning to turn.

Maya probably has the most stamina of
any of our dogs. She can go at any pace
for any distance.


Theo is a classic German Shepherd Dog in every way.




The sumac is turning also.

These tall, yellow wildflowers are bending over the trail
creating a tunnel for any dog of Theo's height or less.





No comments: