Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Fur and Fierceness

You've got to love the Google. I looked up "fierceness" as I often do to make sure I was spelling the word correctly. I learned that the original meaning of the word was "brave, proud" but that had died out in the 16th century. Actually that sense of the word may have made a comeback because I recall it as a gay slang term from back in my bar days, generally employed by drag queens where it had much the same meaning, as in "Honey, that's a fierce outfit." 

I think we should revive that meaning of the word. I definitely prefer it to the current usage with its connotation of violence and aggression. It's the perfect word to describe the dogs' attitude on our hikes today. You can see it in their faces, ears, and tails - brave, proud - fierce.

The first hike was almost three miles with TJ, Maya, and Trooper. Then Maya and I did another two and a half miles with Tennessee. There was still time before dark for another two miles with Lenny.

TJ often reminds me of a male lion, strolling
slowly and confidently among his pride,
very fierce.








Trooper has always been a fierce dog in every sense of the word.




Maya developed her fierceness as she matured.







Tennessee is a fierce dog, in the best sense.





Lenny approaching the stream cautiously.


He wasn't going to be left behind so he just
went for it. He's becoming fierce in his own way.




You know I've got a thing for tails.
Maya has always had a very fierce tail,
but look at Lenny's - it's up, curved,
and wagging more and more now.
Less fear in his eyes.

And that, that's a pretty fierce smile and tail wag.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Lenny's smile! Good work!!

Jamie

Black German Shepherd said...

Your TJ, Maya, and Trooper are so beautiful! They have beautiful furs, in different colors, I envy you! I love these kind of puppies, especially black german shepherd dogs. They are so loyal and wonderful creatures. Keep it up!