Thursday, February 1, 2018

Lenny's dimmer switch

Sniffing my hand as I pet Jackie.
It's definitely not the first time a dog has made a fool out of me, and it probably won't be the last. Yesterday was our second hike with Lenny and I came home needing to wash dog poop off the leashes and harness that he had worn because he was still so traumatized when I tried to get him ready. Today, however, it seems as if a light has come on in his little head. It's not like someone flipped a switch to the "on" position; it's more like someone nudged a dimmer switch up slightly.

We've had a good day. He hasn't done any submissive urination and he didn't shit himself when I sat next to him and touched him. He even allowed a stranger (female) to touch him, hold his leash, and remove it from his collar without wetting himself and the floor. He came out of his crate and hung out in the kitchen with me and the other dogs. He loves Maya and has managed to get her involved in a few play sessions with him today.

Maya has seen the fosters come and go and I think she understands what we're all about. I've taken her along when we've picked up new dogs and when we've adopted them out. Maya gets the credit for this save and that makes me very proud.

I never meant to paint a picture of complete doom and gloom. I was always hopeful for this little dog, I'm just surprised to see him begin to turn it around in a day. He's got a long way to go and he may never be the most sociable dog, but I do hope that he will be adoptable. It may not be straight line progress, but any movement off zero is encouraging. And, I know someone who is interested in him, so that gives me hope. Rescue work is a rollercoaster.

The pictures here aren't going to win any photography prizes, but I consider them to be some of the best I've ever taken.

Coming into the kitchen next to Maya.
Right in the middle of things, but kissing
up to Maya for security.




Tennessee got neutered yesterday and is doing
well, but he's not happy that I won't let him go
out to the dog yard to play with the shepherds.


Ears perked rather than laid back submissively.




Next to Maya, tail up and in motion.


Tail up and reaching over Maya to touch my hand.
Approaching my outstretched hand with the
Great Dane as backup. 


Who knew that Maya could be "good" role model?

They chased each other and played tug.
His ears and tail were both up much more today.







2 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

Um, that is a HUGE difference with Lenny! Seeing his tail up, made me smile like an idiot! Also, you can tell that he is totally looking to your Maya girl for support and guidance. Maya is a pretty special girl:-) So happy for the hope in Lenny's eyes:-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brent, Thank you Maya for helping sweet Lenny.


Jamie