Saturday, February 17, 2018

Indoor days

Although it was unseasonably warm at the end of the week, it's been wet and rainy, and now it's turned colder again. Consequently, more dogs are spending more time indoors.

Lenny is still firmly attached to Maya. I was hoping that his growing confidence on the trails and around the house would carry over in new situations, but I took him to meet someone new today and his shit himself again. On the plus side, he  had no problem with the cat.




























I've mentioned before that Gigi's death has left a vacant spot in our bed at night that no other dog has stepped up to fill. We actually managed to get Sparky to take the spot one night and he was great, but he didn't repeat the next night.

He didn't eat this morning and spent all day in his crate with no interest in going outside. I finally got him down and out in the evening and offered his food again. He still didn't want to eat it, but he changed his mind when I added a generous ladle full of the turkey and noodle soup I made in the crockpot today. I'm going to try to get him to take the spot in bed again tonight.





























I did get Maya and Lenny out for a short two mile walk on Friday. It was sort of raining, but not that much. We just walked the roadways through the park mostly, but we did follow part of the new disc golf trail too.





































































With a number of senior dogs around here, we always have some on medications. I have generally been using canned food to get the dogs to gobble up the pills and that usually works pretty well. I always liked the convenience of pill pockets, but the number of them that I need on a daily basis makes them cost prohibitive. I've seen recipes for homemade pill pockets and the rainy weather gave me a great opportunity to try them.

The recipes vary a bit, but most called for 2 parts flour, 1 part peanut butter, and 1 part milk (or water). I used water because I don't always have milk and I don't have to worry about the milk's expiration date. It mixes into a dough that works very well for encapsulating pills. The dogs down them in one gulp so I don't think anyone has missed a dose since I started using them and they are easier than dealing with canned food all the time. For the batch I made today I used two cups of flour, one cup of peanut butter, and one cup of water. Mix with a spoon and then I just worked it with my hands. Very easy and this should last me a couple weeks.


And here's just a few pictures of dogs lounging around, mostly in the bedroom.

From back to front, is Theo, Max, Trooper, Maya, and TJ.

Vince and Sparky in their usual positions over
on my side of the room.


Former foster Scarlett is staying with us again.
She usually stays in a crate in the office at night.
She's an easy houseguest and very well-mannered.








Maya doesn't hesitate to get up on the bed, but she gets down
when it's time to sleep. 













1 comment:

Byron's Mom said...

I hope Sparky is on the mend- sounds like he's having a tough time. That recipe for hiding pills sounds good! I have quite the routine with morning and night meds but I am lucky that I just have to put them in a little peanut butter and the dogs inhale them.