Sunday, May 6, 2018

A matter of perception

I took Rugger to an adoption event up in northern Virginia today with Promises Animal Rescue. He was good with everyone, friendly with people, especially if they had treats, and good with other dogs. For a while the only other dog there was a seven month old pup. Rugger is about seven years old.

What struck me was that nearly everyone commented about his age, how he must be an old dog, etc. Certainly he is by comparison to the puppy, but I guess I don't really think of Rugger as an old dog. Vince is an old dog, Sparky and Trooper are in senior status too. TJ is older than he seems but he shows his age when hiking uphill, especially in warm weather. Rugger can go as long and as far as I've ever wanted to walk. He doesn't have any disabilities. Neglect from his former owner gave him some hair loss and patches of leathery skin, but he still doesn't fit my perception of an old dog. Maya is probably about six years old. I can't even begin to think of her as an old dog.

He's not so old as to appeal to people who want to take in and save an old dog, to give them the best months or year and the best possible send off. Still, at seven years old, I guess he's past the age of what most people are looking for. But he's also past the age of tearing up the house when left alone. He's past of age of needing to be crated. He's past the age of needing to worry if he will run off if he gets the chance. He's old enough to know better, and he does. Rugger is happy being an only dog but he has learned to live with many others around here. He's definitely looking to form that special shepherd bond with his chosen person. He's loyal to a fault. He thinks whatever his person is doing is the most interesting thing in the world. He wants to be a part of your life, but he's not demanding. He's as happy with a short walk and a long nap as he would be with the opposite.

As a lover of old dogs, I think that the best years of Rugger's life are still ahead of him, not behind. We will continue to search for a person who thinks the same.











2 comments:

Byron's Mom said...

He's a gorgeous guy and it makes me sad that people think that he's "old". Their loss for sure.

frankie said...

I am sooo sorry that I cannot take him - age not an issue at all. I have a lab and a cat which are a "full house" for me. I will check around and keep him in my thoughts! Best wishes!